As an independent agency, the CMA’s primary role is to provide oversight and monitoring of FDC’s health care delivery system to ensure adequate standards of physical and mental health care are maintained. The CMA’s statutorily defined role does not grant us the authority to conduct formal investigations of individual inmate cases; direct the staff in Florida’s correctional institutions or to require specific actions by the FDC; engage in any activity that might be perceived as advocacy for any individual; change FDC rules, polices, or procedures; or participate in any formal hearings or grievance processes.

The CMA often receives inquiries or is provided information from inmates, family members, or other concerned parties that appear to warrant further review. The CMA is generally unable to act upon this information, but we routinely refer parties to the appropriate point of contact that would address their issue.

Below is a list of our most frequent inquiry topics and referrals.

Inmate Health Care

If You Are an Inmate

Inmates who have inquiries and concerns regarding their health care should submit form DC6-236, Inmate Request to have their issue resolved at the institutional level. Inmates should select Informal Grievance at the top of the form and then provide a summary of their request.

If You Are A Family Member or Other Concerned Party

Please note that inmates’ medical information is confidential and protected by federal and state laws. This prohibits the release of confidential health information without the written consent of inmates.

  • General inquiries or concerns regarding an inmate’s health care can be directed to institutional health care staff where the inmate resides. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ci/index.html
  • If your issue is not resolved at the institutional level, you can contact FDC’s Office of Health Service (OHS). OHS oversees the delivery of comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health treatment for all inmates statewide.  (FDCHealthCare@fdc.myflorida.com or 850-717-3277)
  • Inquiries or concerns regarding FDC health care providers or their services can be directed to Centurion of Florida, LLC. The Department contracts with Centurion of Florida, LLC to provide comprehensive medical, mental health, and dental services statewide.
  • Inquiries and concerns regarding health care for inmates housed in a private prison facility can be directed to the Florida Department of Management Services (DMS) Bureau of Private Prison Monitoring. Seven private correctional facilities are managed by DMS, and health care is contracted out to private health care providers. (Private Prison Monitoring’s Bureau Chief 850-921-4034) www.dms.myflorida.com/business_operations/private_prison_monitoring/contact_us

General Information regarding the Florida Department of Corrections

  • General inquiries regarding the FDC can be directed to FDC’s Office of Citizens Services. The office assists with locating and verifying information as well as assisting with inquiries related to FDC. (FDCCitizenServices@fdc.myflorida.com or 850-488-7052)
  • Inquiries and concerns regarding the direct care, custody and supervision, or facility operations should be directed to the warden where the inmate is housed. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ci/index.html
  • Inquiries and concerns regarding criminal and administrative violations including contraband, physical abuse, sexual assault, or misconduct by staff should be directed to FDC’s Office of the Inspector General for appropriate handling. IGComplaintForm@fdc.myflorida.com

Additional Resources

  • For persons currently or formerly incarcerated in a Florida prison or jail, Florida Justice Institute handles cases related to prisoner rights involving mistreatment while incarcerated or involving the conditions of the facility. (305.358.2081) https://www.floridajusticeinstitute.org/advocacy/prisoners-rights/
  • Disability Rights Florida is a nonprofit organization that provides legal advocacy and rights protection for adults and children with a wide range of disabilities. The organization addresses civil rights violations, abuse and neglect, and discrimination in an institution, prison, or jail. (800-342-0823) https://disabilityrightsflorida.org/contact

The CMA does not have statutory authority regarding inmates or matters pertaining to county or federal correctional facilities.

  • General inquiries or concerns regarding an inmate’s health care can be directed to the county jail where the inmate resides. (https://dos.myflorida.com/library-archives/research/florida-information/government/local-resources/county-jails-and-inmate-searches/).
  • The Florida Model Jail Standards are minimum standards which jails across Florida must meet to ensure the constitutional rights of incarnated individuals are maintained. The standards are developed and enforced by The Florida Model Jail Standards Committee. For more information regarding Florida jail standards or the Florida Model Jail Standards Committee, you can contact The Florida Sheriff’s Association’s (FSA) Jail Services Coordinator. (800-877-2165) (https://www.flsheriffs.org/law-enforcement-programs/training/florida-model-jail-standards)

FDC has established grievance procedures to provide inmates with a mechanism for the administrative settlement of grievances. Florida Administrative Code Rule 33-103 outlines the process for submitting inmate grievances. (https://www.flrules.org/gateway/chapterhome.asp?chapter=33-103)

Inmates within Florida’s correctional institutions and facilities have access to the following, but not limited to healthcare services:

  • Sick Call: Inmates may request non-urgent medical attention through sick call by submitting form DC4-698A, Inmate Sick Call Request.
  • Urgent Care: If an inmate identifies a medical or mental health emergency, they may declare a medical or psychological emergency and will be evaluated immediately.

In accordance with Florida Administrative Code Rule 33-402.701, “A personal representative of a living inmate shall have access to or authorize the disclosure of the inmate’s protected health information that is relevant to the personal representative’s legal authority to make health care decisions on behalf of the inmate. Form DC4-711B, Form DC4-711Bsp, or any other authorization used for these purposes shall be signed by the inmate or the inmate’s personal representative in accordance with Florida law.”